Today I am completely indulging in my perfect day. A hot mug of tea, my favourite movie (Breakfast at Tiffany’s) playing on my chunky little television and I’m curled up on the couch with a fuzzy faux fur throw and the newest issue of Bon Appetit magazine. I am in bliss. I love spending at least a couple hours on my days off like this. A great book/magazine and a good movie. More often than not, a cooking magazine/book and a classic movie. One of my favorite pairings.
In life there are lots of perfect pairings. Macaroni and Cheese. Hot Chocolate and Marshmallows. Rubber boots and puddles. Fred and Ginger. But perhaps one of the best combinations is Peanut Butter and Chocolate. Though let’s be honest, Peanut Butter goes well with almost everything! Except cheese, I tried that once- very bad (I’m not crazy, I was 8). Sometimes combining 2 things you love just does not work. But Peanut Butter and Chocolate definitely works. And when you add some granola crunchiness in the mix you have a mouth winning combination.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola
Adapted from Cookie Monster Cooking
Makes about 10 cups
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Preaheat oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine peanuts, oats, flaxseed and canola oil, stir to combine.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine honey and peanut butter, stirring until the peanut butter is completely melted and ingredients are combined. Stir in maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt until combined.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the oat mixture and stir until combined.
- Spread evenly onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until it is a light golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and press granola down into an even layer. Let the granola cool completely. Break into small pieces and stir in chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container.