So, disappointingly, the holidays are over, or at least coming to an end very soon. Let’s have a moment of silence. Tear. Ok, now
we I have to face the facts that it’s time to get back into the groove of real life. Grumble grumble. You can probably sense my enthusiasm to get back into the office instead of spending my days cooking, baking, skiing, visiting friends, reading, watching movies, running errands, cleaning out my storage (true story, looks amazing!). But the truth is, I have at least 30 more working years left until I will be on permanent holidays, so I better get used to it. Also, remind me never to take 2 weeks off at a time ever again, Monday is going to blow.
So if you are anything like me and want to prolong the holiday spirit, whip up this recipe- Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls. Pull that leftover holiday nog out of the fridge or run to the store and snatch up the last carton because this is the absolute best way to enjoy Eggnog! So. Freaking. Delicious. And I am not normally a fan of Eggnog, at least not as a beverage. Every year I decide I need a glass and declare “This will be the year I start liking Eggnog!” but every year I realize this is not that year. Well that was until I made these Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls. Now I have visions of putting Eggnog in everything because these rolls tasted so magical! I will definitely be leaving these babies for Santa next year to guarantee my spot on the good list! And my apologies for finding this amazing recipe so late! Run out quick and get some nog before we have to wait another 11 months. Oh, and please invite me over. For quality control purposes, obviously. 😉
Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe from A Beautiful Mess
Serves about 12 rolls (not enough if I’m around!)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp eggnog
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar/Icing sugar/powdered sugar
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Once melted, remove from heat. Stir in milk, eggnog, and sugar and stir until dissolved. Stir in yeast- it doesn’t need to dissolve- and let it sit for 6-8 minutes to allow the yeast to start working.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour and salt. Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the eggs.
3. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 3-4 minutes until a smooth, slightly sticky dough forms. Place dough ball into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and let rise in a cool, dry place for 2 hours.
4. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until it’s between 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick. Brush melted butter all over the dough. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the buttered dough.
5. Roll the dough up tightly into a log and slice about 2 to 2 1/2 inches thick.
6. Place the rolls into a well buttered baking dish. If you have any leftover melted butter, brush it on the tops of the rolls.
7. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until the tops begin to turn golden brown.
8. To make the glaze: Mix eggnog and vanilla, then slowly whisk in sugar until no lumps remain. Pour the glaze over warm cinnamon rolls and devour!