Tonight I was in the mood for a salad. But not the normal heaping pile of rabbit food that I usually call a salad. I wanted something that felt a little more special than usual. So I decided oven roasted tomatoes would do the trick. I have a love-hate relationship with tomatoes. I love them in salads but I hate them in sandwiches. When I order a burger at a restaurant, I don’t ask for them without tomatoes because I like to pick them off and eat them on the side. I guess there’s just a time and place for them, and it’s not in my burger, it’s in my salad.
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
Makes however many you want to make. I didn’t measure, you don’t need to be precise.
- 1 container cherry tomatoes, washed.
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Pinch of white sugar
- Pinch or two of salt
- Sprinkling of dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 4oo degrees. Cut tomatoes in half and place in a baking sheet leaving a bit of room between the tomatoes. Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with sugar, salt and thyme. Roast in oven for about 30-45 minutes until soft and wrinkled.
Roasted Tomato Salad
Serves… as much as you want. Again, just throw it together.
- Your favorite type of leafy greens
- Goat cheese
- Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil, optional
- Pile some of those mixed greens on a plate. I used a mixed “Artisanal Blend.” Ooooh getting fancy, schmancy up in here. I also threw in some fresh mint leaves.
- Sprinkle some goat cheese over the greens and top with the oven roasted tomatoes.
- Drizzle salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, if using. Munch munch!